Chapter 4: More on Exercising and Eating Healthy

>> Sunday, April 17, 2011

This week's goal was to continue with chapter four, "Exercising and Eating Healthy" to give those who are working diligently through my book, time to work through the process. In addition, I want to take time to commend you. I know this journey has not been easy, but if it's any consolation to you, I'm so glad you're still hanging in there with me.

This week I thought it would be suitable to share with each other responses to the extreme challenge 2: "Learn how to make smoothies which are a great way to add nutritional value to your diet. Experiment with fruits, yogurts, and low-fat milk or soy milk then add protein powder, flaxseed, or other powder supplements for even more nutritional value."

Because I'm not that great of a cook, and not at all creative in the kitchen, I will be sharing with you a smoothie recipe that I use that I obtained from a woman's health book (Simple Pledges, Building Blocks for Healthy Living, Volume III).

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 Tbsp. ground flaxseed
  • 1 banana
  • 1 cup low-fat or fat-free fruit yogurt
  • 11/2 cups frozen blueberries or strawberries (peaches, mangoes, raspberries)
  • 1 cup low-fat soy milk


PREPARATION

  • Place all ingredients in blender and process until desired texture.

Each serving contains approximately:

  • 113 calories
  • 5 g. protein
  • 19 g. carbohydrates
  • 3 g. fat
  • 8 mg. calcium

What I have found helpful in making smoothies quickly and effortlessly is to take time on Saturday or Sunday to cut my fruit into cubes and store them in plastic baggies or plastic containers. That way when I feel like having a healthy snack, it's just a matter of adding my ingredients.

If you have a favorite smoothie recipe or a healthy snack you would like to share, I would love to hear from you!

Next Week's Goal: Read Chapter 5 or Step 5, and start chapter questions.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP