The Discipline in Setting Goals

>> Wednesday, December 2, 2009

In my last post I shared with you how to set goals, and as we both know setting goals is one thing, but following through on those goals is quite another thing. As the year comes to a close most of the people I know and those people who I have talked with who use to set New Years goals, have set aside that tradition and have opted instead to hope for the best. They hope they'll lose weight this coming year; they hope they'll get that promotion; they hope their relationship will get better. I realize that the Bible says, “faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen” (Hebrews 11:1). But it also says, “…faith by itself, if it does not have works, is dead” (James 2:17). Yes, James was referring to one's salvation in this passage; but show me anything of substance that was produced without work. Our salvation is freely given to us, but it requires us to believe, to turn from sin, and to confess our sin.

So in this post I'd like to share with you some tips to help you gain discipline so your goals don't become stale before the end of the first month of the new year. The tips I have adopted for myself are from Brian Tracy author and public speaker on human potential and personal effectiveness. Here are a few suggestions of his that have helped me gain discipline as I pursue my goals in spite of my weaknesses, workload, and family responsibilities:
  1. List 5 areas in your life that lack discipline, and prioritize them in the order you want to conquer them.
  2. Take them on, one by one by securing resources in the areas you are having trouble (book, tapes, etc.) or by finding someone who is a great role model in the areas you are trying to gain discipline.
  3. Spend 15 minutes getting focused in each area daily.
  4. Spend 5 minutes checking up on yourself daily.
  5. Spend 5 minutes in the morning evaluating your progress.

If I had to add one more step it would be to pray fervently for God's guidance in each of the areas you lack discipline. Some of the areas you are trying to conqueror may be more than a lack of discipline, but a stronghold that only God's strong hand can deliver you from.

“Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time, casting all your care upon Him, for He cares for you “(1 Peter 5:6-7).

Reference: Brian Tracy, How to Master Your Time (Chicago, Illinois: Nightingale Conant Corporation).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comment.

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP